Happy Flashback Friday! Every Friday we focus on Speak Up data, articles, and press releases from the past. This week we’re looking at THE Journal’s article, “10 Major Technology Trends in Education” from February of this year, which features data from Speak Up 2013. Check out some of the major trends below:
- Personal Access to Mobile Devices
- Students overwhelmingly have access to personal mobile devices. 89% of high school students have access to Internet-connected smart phones, while 50% of students in grades 3-5 have access to the same type of devices.
- In 2013, 64% of students surveyed identified 3G- or 4G- enabled devices as their primary means of connecting to the Internet, with another 23% saying they connect through an Internet-enabled TV or Wii console.
- When asked why traditional broadband access wasn’t their primary means of connectivity, students said there was less contention for access with other members of the family through these non-traditional devices
- Video is a tool that has been on the rise in recent years. 46% of teachers are using video i the classroom, while 1/3 of students are accessing video online – through their own initiative – to help with their homework (e.g. Khan Academy).