The YouthTEACH2Learn career exploration program is an intiative of Project Tomorrow where students explore teaching as a career with a focus on Math and Science instruction. During the course, students gain practical experience by observing elementary school classrooms, learning and developing teaching skills, as well as creating and teaching standards-based lessons at elementary schools. In addition, students also have the opportunity to meet local educators, attend career panels and visit local college campuses in order to determine if the teaching is a “good-fit” for their professional goals.
Benefits of the program:
- Opportunity for high school teacher to earn $10 per student in the program to be spent at will
- Encourages career exploration and develops professional skills
- Increases elementary students’ interest in science and math at an early age.
- Provides elementary school teachers with enhanced science or math lessons and encouragement to improve their own science or math lessons.
- Develops a “grow your own” system of teacher development from the community
- Increases the amount of students playing a vital role in the community
What does the program include?
- The program includes a full year curriculum guide with supplemental resources such as presentations and assigned readings.
- Along with the curriculum is teacher training for the high school teacher and administrator.
- A program manager will work with each school site to assist in setting up the program, the development of high school approved credit, college and university articulation agreements, program evaluation, as well as the coordination of guest speakers and Future Educators Association events.
What does the program cost?
- The program is FREE for all teachers/school sites with the opportunity to generate some extra income as well!
- Additional training costs vary based on location, length of training, and number of teachers.
- Schools may qualify for free training, submit an application and find out if your school qualifies!
- We are currently offering free training for the first 5 schools who sign up for the 2013-14 school year!
What will students do during the class?
- This class is set up as a “hands on” linked learning experience. Students learn and practice teaching theories and concepts in the classroom and have a chance to implement what they learned by teaching full class instruction at elementary schools. It is the practical experience that allows the students to learn the most about the teaching profession.
Why would students take the class?
- There are many reasons for students to take the class. Many students take the class to explore teaching as a career and to gain experience working with children.
- Some students take the class In order to develop professional skills such as leadership, teamwork, time management, presentation, and public speaking.
To learn more and/or to have your school considered for participation, please contact: Nate Moser, Program Manager, at email@example.com or 949 609-4660 ext 16.