Yesterday at the 2015 White House Science Fair, President Obama announced over $240 million in pledges to inspire more students – especially those from underrepresented groups – to pursue education in science, technology, engineering, and math. Included in Obama’s announcement were:
- $150 million philanthropic effort to empower a diverse cadre of promising early-career scientists to stay on track to become scientific leaders of tomorrow;
- $90 million “Let Everyone Dream” campaign to expand STEM opportunities to under-represented youth;
- $25 million Department of Education competition to create science and literacy themed media that inspires students to explore;
- 120 universities and colleges committing to train 20,000 engineers to tackle the “Grand Challenges” of 21st century; and,
- CEO coalition Change the Equation committing expand effective STEM programs to an additional 1.5 million students this year.